Underpinning: Do You Need Building Regulations Approval

Building regulations are standards that are set by the government that needs to be followed by an individual while constructing the houses or buildings to ensure the safety of the people.

Meeting the requirement of the building regulations is the responsibility of the person carrying out construction or underpinning services.

The regulations also ensure that the underpinning services stabilize the movement of the building because underpinning requires attention and if not done properly, it can give rise to major accidents and harm surrounding payments as well.

So if you are planning to have some structural changes and extensive alternations in your house, you need to get building regulation approved.

Areas That Building Regulations Cover

If you are getting your house underpinned and have a fear of any mishappenings, get it approved because these regulations provide safety for the following areas:

  • Structure: while underpinning, these regulations cover the roof balconies, terraces, garages, lofts etc.
  • Electrical safety: if you wish to change the wiring of the house, add extra radiators or install a fuel-burning appliance.
  • Safety from fire: enables a safety route during underpinning to comply with the fire safety standards.
  • Plumbing, Ventilation etc.: covers tap damage, ventilation problems, hygiene, drainage, disposal of waste etc.

Places You Can Get Building Regulations ApprovedBuilding Regulations Approved

Government institutions are the places from where you can get your regulation approved to carry out the underpinning services. The main places where you can get them approved are as follows:

  • Local authorities: used by maximum people, it is a place from where you can get your approval passed easily and early.
  • Private control bodies: these are approved inspectors of a private firm or a company. On contacting them, they visit your home and advise you about the regulations and how they apply to the work that you are going to carry out. They check all the plans, inform local bodies of the city about the work you are carrying out inspect the on-going work and its progress and in the end provide you a certificate.
  • Competent Person Scheme: it is self-certification and an advantageous procedure for those who want to require their house to get underpinned. No fee is charged, all the work of the customers is carried out with convenience and at lower prices.

Procedure to Apply for Building Regulations

Generally all the building regulation applications can be submitted online; however, there are three types of applications that can be made for getting them approved. Here they are:

  • Full Plans: these applications require technical drawings and plans of the architecture that you are planning to get done during the underpinning services. These applications can be submitted to the local bodies of the city and are processed within 5 to 8 weeks of submission and are valid for up to 3 years. The local inspectors make a visit to the underpinned area, also check the progress and issue a certificate for approval.
  • Building notice: ┬áin this, you should get in touch with a local authority and inform that you are going to carry out underpinning services at your home without disclosing your full plans. The process is quicker but the local authority issues a certification of completion, only if the underpinning services are carried out to their fullest.
  • Regularization: if you start the underpinning services without getting any prior approval from the local bodies, in such a case, you may obtain a regularization certificate by filing a retrospective application. The amount required for such an application is generally based on the estimated cost of the initial work.

Building Regulation Approval CostBuilding Regulation Approval Cost

The fee for getting the regulation approved varies from city to city and the nature of work undertaken. Approximately the cost ranges between 1 and 2% of the total cost of underpinning.

Building Regulation Certificate

Once all your underpinning work is over, you need to obtain a certificate of competition from the local bodies that confirms that all the work carried out complies with the standards set by the local authority.

Make sure that you do this work before handing over the amount to the builder and the workmen.

In case you fail to obtain the completion certificate, you might face various problems while selling your home in the future.

So, if you are carrying out underpinning services without getting a building regulation approved, get it done today.

You may also like