Are you planning to place a concrete foundation somewhere in your home? You might need one to place your air conditioner unit, for your patio furniture, or for your fountain. A concrete foundation provides you a personal space where you can accomplish a lot of things. It is a solid base for any kind of structure. The size and type of concrete foundation you need depends on what kind of structure you need to set on it. So first of all you will have to decide what structure you are making the concrete foundation for and then you can go about making the foundation.
Once you know the size, use the following step-by-step procedure to build a concrete foundation:
- Choose the Right Foundation – The first thing you need to do is choose the type of foundation you require. The type depends on two things:
- Area of the foundation
- Type of structure to be placed on the foundation
These two factors will help you choose the right foundation type. There are majorly two types of concrete foundations:
Shallow Foundations –
If you need a concrete foundation for simpler and smaller projects then you should opt for shallow foundations. These are around 3 feet (91.44 cm) deep. Shallow foundations are best suitable to place an air conditioning unit, patio furniture, or a foundation. Also, shallow foundations are best for hard surfaces and level ground.
– On the other hand, if you need a concrete foundation for more complex projects then deep foundations are more appropriate. These are best for areas with poor soil conditions. Also, these are used for building a structure on a hill. These are more than 3 feet deep. Deep foundations are most suitable for detached garages or sheds.
Place the Footings
– The next step is to place your footings 2 feet across. You need to add 2 feet on either side to give you proper space for laying down the foundation.
Place the Boards
– Next you have to build the form for the footings. For this, align 2 inch wide by 10 inch long boards. Lay these boards in the planned foundation and situate them properly.
Level the Form
– Remember to square and level the form at this stage because you will not be able to do any kind of adjustments once you pour the concrete. Also, it is essential to make the formwork very firm and strong because concrete is too heavy.
Make the Concrete
– Now is the time to make your concrete. For this, you need to do the following:
- Pour the dry cement into the wheelbarrow.
- Slowly add water and keep stirring constantly.
- Thoroughly stir the mixture. You need just that much water that can make the cement chunky. You don’t need soupy mixture so do not add too much of water.
Make Concrete Foundation
– Once the concrete is ready, you can make the concrete foundation and underpinning using the following steps:
- Pour the concrete you have made in the form.
- Use a trowel to level off the concrete and make it smooth.
- For a non-slippery surface use trowel to make grooves.
Finish the Concrete
– Finally it is time to finish the concrete by using the following steps:
- First let the concrete dry.
- Once the concrete is completely dry, you can remove the forms. You will have to wait at least 24 hours for this.
- Afterwards, for next few days you will have to keep the concrete wet. This will save your concrete from cracking. You can soak the concrete with a hose at least twice a day. And if it is too hot then do it three times.
- If you expect rain then cover the concrete foundation with the pad. Rain has the potential to make depressions in the concrete thereby making the foundation uneven.
And if you want to hire experts to do the job then think of Five Star Restumping Melbourne! We offer affordable foundation repair and other related services in Melbourne. We also provide reliable concrete foundation services for all your needs. Just get in touch with us and appoint the best of structural engineers!